Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

German Glass Glittered Gift Box

With the holiday season well on its way, I like to create my own gift wrapping and gift boxes when I can. Nothing says Christmas like lots of sparkle and twinkle and this German glass glittered box is the perfect box to share a special present with someone you love.


Supplies:

Paper mache box (in this instance I used a 3 inch round box found at Joann's for $1, but you can use any size or shape)

German glass glitter - mix of fine and medium grit

Glue - you need a litter glue or a nice think sticky/tacky glue to help grab the glitter as I have found that a runny glue such as modge podge doesn't grab as well

Pretty scrapbook paper, vintage sheet music, ledger paper, etc.

Paper flowers (these are from the Prima line)

You also will need either a paper cutter or scissors, hot glue gun and paint brush (optional)

I would like to talk about German glass glitter for a moment. There are two different kinds, either plain glass or the kind that is coated with actual silver. The kind with silver, often times called pure or real is the kind that will tarnish over time when exposed to air. Personally I like to use a mixture of both since the un-coated is cheaper. You still get the tarnished look, but not as heavy or as dark as I have seen, and I personally like that better. Also be careful when using this glitter, as the shards are sharp - don't handle it too rough or hard, or you will be digging out little pieces of glass with some tweezers much like a splinter.


Holding the box and lid together, using either your fingers or a brush, cover the entire outside of the box with glue. I personally like to use my fingers, which is a lot messier, but I feel like I have better control of the glue and I am able to cover it thoroughly as opposed to a brush.


After covered, gently pull the lid off the box with a slight twisting motion. Here is what it should look like:


Using your fingers, dip the box into the glitter and using your fingers, push the glitter into the glue.


Repeat this step with the lid. Set aside and allow the box to dry completely.


While the glue is drying you can work on your paper rosette. I cut an approximate 1 inch strip off of a 12" scrapbook sheet and began folding it like an accordion.


Once the entire piece is folded, glue the ends together and then add a paper flower with a big dollop of hot glue and press down to get a nice flat rosette.


Lastly adhere the rosette on top of the box.


Now you are ready to fill this box with a special trinket or gift.

I hope you enjoy this tutorial and if you have any questions, leave a comment and I will be happy to answer any and all!

Sarah

7 comments:

  1. I think this is AWESOME! I bought quite a BIT of German glass glitter awhile back, and I am TRULY an AIRHEAD because - DUH! - I thought it was called that 'cause it LOOKS like glass. (Stop laughing.) Anyway, when I cut my fool self a couple of times, I finally GOT it. I am constantly buying paper mache boxes & things when they are on sale, and I have a BUNCH! This is a quick, fun, inexpensive, & PRETTY gift. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I feel some cut fingers AND some nice gift boxes in my near future ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!! Now I can use all those boxes I have stacked up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glitter & sparkle...two of my favorite things:) Simply beautiful! Of course, when I make some to give away, I'll need to make one to keep!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love! I had to Pin it. And I have everything to make my own so I am off to play.

    Have a Great Weekend
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou for your tutorial on making your gorgeous box-I love all that glitters :)
    Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Would love to receive a gifty wrapped beautifully in this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the project so much I re-posted (with credit and links back to you) on my blog. I really liked the step by step instructions!

    ReplyDelete