Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Creamy Christmas Trees

Do you want to add some creamy vintage goodness to your holiday decor this Christmas Season? 
With a few minutes and some vintage goodies, you can turn these small trees into creamy goodness with a little bleach and hot water.

 Supplies:
Small Christmas Trees
Bleach - approximate 1/4 cup to approximate 1 gallon of hot water
Vintage Pearls and Small Cream Vintage Buttons
(I used pearls from a broken vintage necklace)
Vintage Mica Snow
Spray Glitter
Hot Glue Gun
 Soak mini Christmas trees in a bath of approximately 1/4 cup of bleach to a gallon of hot water.  It took approximately 15 minutes to bleach these trees. 
 Once the trees are bleached, set aside to dry completely
 Once dry, decorate your trees with vintage cream pearls and small creamy buttons by using hot glue to adhere them to the tree.
Then spray trees with glue and roll in Vintage Mica Snow to give them a dusting of freshly fall snow.

You won't be able to stop with just one tree, you will want to make a forest of Creamy Christmas Trees to add to your Christmas decor.

As I made my forest of trees I found myself humming "I'm Dreamin' of a White Christmas"! 
How about you?  Are you dreamin' of a white Christmas?  I know I am!

Sheila

***Update - I have noticed that there are botttle brush trees that are made from different materials.  Some are easier to dye than others and unfortunately some will not dye hardly at all.  My suggestion is to buy just a few to try out initially before investing in a lot.  Once you know that they will dye, then purchase more to complete your project.***

24 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you read my mind. I saw something similar on a blog a few days ago and wondered how she made them/bought them because I wanted them sooooooooooooooo badly.

    Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial. I've pinned, FB and tweeted it!

    Have a Great week
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, YEAH!!!! I was ALREADY planning a trip to Hobby Lobby today. Guess what's getting added to MY list? THANK YOU FOR THIS!!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dreaming of a white Christmas too! I'm definitely going to do this!!

    xxoo
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love these creamy Christmas trees! Gotta find my stash so I can make some. Dreamin' of Christmas, but I'd prefer it green;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is perfect timing! I just got a bunch of little trees, and was wondering how to do this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought TWENTY of these in various sizes at Hobby Lobby yesterday! (See? I TOLD you I was going to! LOL!) And this weekend I have an 'appointment' with those trees & a tub of bleach! I'll show them on my blog when I do them all! Super tutorial! THANKS AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, lovely, sometimes I wish I had a bigger house, so I could try every crafty Christmas creation! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see where I went wrong the first time I did this. I used straight bleach! The trees just disinegrated...I can't wait to try again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea-- I am definately going to make some for myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sad! My trees never bleached out. I bought them at Walmart. Maybe a different brand? Any ideas why it did not work?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just bought a 24 pack of trees for $12.99 at Lowes. There are several sizes.I bleached them & they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just a caution about choosing trees to bleach. You have to be sure that they're the sisal material such as those that come in the Lemax assortments. The cheaper ones tend to be plastic and they won't bleach out. The best way to get them affordably is at the after-Xmas clearance sales at Michaels, etc.,but I've also found them at thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea. I think the vintage trees would work the best, the new ones out there are made of plastic. I need to start digging at the local antique store.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I'm from ZuZu:)
    lovely trees and So wonderful your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see I am a little late in the game on this one but I just bleached a bunch of green trees. Some of them turned out gorgeous and some not so much. Thankfully the two largest ones are very nice. Thanks for the idea!
    Janine E.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are just beautiful! I bleached a bag of various size trees that I got on sale after Christmas last year. They are drying and will be getting some special touches. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this!!!! I have loads of green trees, who would think that they could be bleached!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been looking all over for these trees. All I could find is green or other strange colors but no off white. I have the green ones you show here. I'll be doing this today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I must have gotten the xtra strength bottle brush trees! Left them in fifty fifty bleach water for three hours and after they were as green as when I put them in.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rebecca Siniard BradyDecember 9, 2015 at 5:05 AM

    Went to Joann's yesterday, found ivory, pink, two shades of green bottle brush trees and some of the cutest cardboard Putz houses with own individual lights and glitter. Sooooo excited about putting my Christmas village together with these items! Oh yes, most was 60% off, making it even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The bleach doesn't affect the bases? I love this idea and will try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Since I changed the colors I use for Christmas, this is really cool! I like the creams, whites, tans, then still quite a bit of red! My tree is green and decorated old fashioned the light colors. TREES ARE GREEN PEOPLE! Love the idea! Thanks, I will be trying it soon.!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yo quiero saber cómo se hacen esos árbolitosy no la decoración sino el árbol en sí gracias x contestarme

    ReplyDelete